local mappings

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Jan 29 15:51:39 CET 2009

At 21:12 28/01/2009, Mark Davis wrote:
>But mappings like lowercase, fullwidth, etc are different.

Unless we make it completely clear that IDNA2008 is a temporary
Internet Degraded Name Arbitration that temporarily blocks mapping
for security reasons during the transition to a DNS.2, which will
fully support every typography. As users, we certainly oppose this
entirely, but we also have to be pragmatic. If these degraded names
are what our WG can propose in the present DNS context, a sound,
reduced proposition is better than a flawed solution.

At this stage, IMHO we should only target what Occam and the IETF LC
may agree on. I would like to explain something to you further.

  At this time the French Gov has issued an RFP for the replacement
of AFNIC as the ".fr" Manager. france at large will answer that RFP. As
part of the procedure, candidates can pose clarification questions
that the Government will in turn have to answer. IDNA20008 should
have been completed by now. Therefore, we (should have asked
questions concerning "Internationalization" within the IDNA2008 framework.

IDNA2008 is not completed yet. Therefore, our own IDNA interoperable
architecture perspective could also not have been finalized. We are,
therefore, going to pose our questions with rather little IETF, IAB,
or architectural background about the "Intersem" (Multilingual and
Semantic Internet" related issues. These questions will come from
French users, consumers, corporations, organizations, representatives, etc..
By way of consequence, Government responses (or lack of) will affect
the whole francophonie and create a de facto international position,
since ".fr" refrained in the past from developing a solely
Anglo-Saxon typography, which the Government would like to see come to an end.

Stephane Bortzmeyer from AFNIC did a good job here. He pointed out
some of the problems that we are facing, but showed reasonably low
pressure so as to not delay the respective problem solving (the
solutions to the discussed mapping cases are good hints for some of
our problems). Furthermore, we (users) cooperated in not objecting to
what we consider as a clear disrespecting of the Charter and of the
responsibility, competence (RFC 3935), and precautionary (cf. my own
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iucg-precaution-00.txt)
principle. This was because we fully realized that IDNA cannot, and
does not intent to, bring much more than IDNA2003. and not what we
consider everyone expect (cf. WSIS, IGF, UNESCO, etc positions).
James Seng and the Chair have been very honnest about it.

However, the time has come. AFNIC has not been able to deploy the
proper support needed for the French typography as of yet, this being
the present case 31 years after the French international
datacommunications services were opened. Therefore, I presume that
the questions that I will have to list along with the responses that
I will thereby obtain (either directly or indirectly) will be
politically based upon the (1) best QoS for the users (2)
precautionary principle in a global context (3) imaginative
architectural alternatives (4) support of the Semantic Addressing, in
which we were delaying our proposition in order to be certain that it
will be IDNA interoperable.

One question set will necessarily concern the kind of international
consensus that will support the French Gov responses that we will
publicly receive.

Every suggestion that you could make would be _very_ welcome. The
deadline for us is February 7.
Concerning interoperability, I will certainly quote, in appendix to
my questions, this present mail, along with whatever response and
Chair statement that I receive. Obviously the RFP, my questions, and
the responses received will all be in the French language.

jfc