local mappings

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Mon Jan 26 14:50:27 CET 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 05:36:42PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

> the unsophisticated)?    If we do lower-case, but continue to
> ban compatibility characters and the other odd cases that
> surprise those who don't know what is going on, does that help
> us significantly with the compatibility and astonishment
> situations that are really important?

That sounds to me like a good way forward, assuming that what we say
as a result is something other than the current "local mappings that
make sense" language.  That current language is laudable in intention
but almost certainly a recipe for disaster in a protocol.

I think your new approach could be very fruitful.  I guess we need to
spend some time trying to work out exactly how it would work, but I
see Patrik is already suggesting some terminological distinctions that
will be helpful.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.