Final Sigma (was: RE: Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Sat Feb 28 02:25:42 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:59:25PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

> And, just out of curiosity, how much less time do you think that
> would take than the complete DNS redesign, reimplementation, and
> redeployment that some people believe is now due or overdue?

This is, I think, the central point: once we start opening this tin,
there's a lotta worms in there to come out.  _Everyone_ has their
favourite gripe with DNS, and modifying it so that it's properly
internationalised at its core (cf. the discussion in this thread about
server-side matching, for instance), we're almost all the way along to
saying, "Time for a new protocol."

Maybe it is, but that sure isn't going to get internationalised labels
available quickly.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.