Valid/invalid Label

Alireza Saleh saleh at nic.ir
Fri Feb 27 11:08:34 CET 2009

Hi,

For the past few days, I tried to answer a fundamental question to
myself which was, "in what basis a label should be considered invalid or
valid under IDNA documents ?".
What I currently think as the reason for valid/invalid categorizing is
having confusion free international _domain names_ . However, I think it
is not possible to have extra-required restrictions only on labels and
then expect to have confusion free URI/IRI.

Another thing which passed in my mind was that, why IDNA has been
introduced ?  (1) This is just because of having  fancy domain names or
(2) enabling  communities  to benefit from their languages in Internet.
If (1), then mixing different script labels is possible and then the
global regulation to have confusion free IDNA is required. but  if we
consider (2) (which I think was the main reason of IDNA ), then it
cannot be regulated globally because languages are based on scripts and
the scripts are demonstrated by a part of the UNICODE table which I
think it doesn't  have global considerations and its divided to
different sections to demonstrate different scripts.

I think that a possible solution would be considering virtual links
between one or some sections of Unicode and one or some TLDs.  Then the
TLD operators based on those sections  which are linked to his TLD can
make proper decisions. In other word,  TLDs would be responsible for
their domain names.

Another inappropriate solution might be having two different policies
one for gTLDs and the other for ccTLDs, and of course different prefixes
for each policy.

I'm sure taking a proper policy by all  TLDs that currently registered
backward incompatible names between IDNA2003 and IDNA2008 both in
character definitions or policy changes  ( such as final
Sigma,Esszett,ZWNJ) can solve the transition problem and at least be
sure the future incompatibilities are their responsibilities and will
not cause any global impacts.

Best
Alireza