Final Sigma (was: RE: Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Fri Feb 27 04:45:39 CET 2009

--On Wednesday, February 25, 2009 09:48 -0800 Erik van der Poel
<erikv at google.com> wrote:

> Then there could be an extra field in the DNS that indicates
> how to display those names in Unicode form. I.e. it would tell
> you which sigmas are supposed to be final, which characters
> should have a tonos, and so on.

Erik,

Could you please explain "extra field in the DNS" to those of us
who are under the impression that

	* that there are no places to put extra fields in any RR
	type in CLASS IN

	and/or

	* that the primary premise of IDNA is to avoid making
	any changes to the DNS.

... just trying to understand what you are proposing.

I hope it is not to encourage Greece to do something that would
not be interoperable with the rest of the Internet, including
people outside Greece that are using Greek characters?  That
would rather defeat one of the advantages of IDNs as well as
having other bad consequences.

best,