Not changing the prefix

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Thu Feb 26 20:12:44 CET 2009

John presented some very good points about not changing the prefix. There
are more.

Suppose that we do change the prefix. The registries won't recognize that
the A-Labels are the same, without bundling. What do clients do with
http://ÖBB.at <http://%c3%96bb.at/>? Do they use the xn-- prefix? The new
prefix? Make two DNS calls?

What about a series of communicating systems? If I convert to an A-Label (
http://xn--bb-eka.at <http://%c3%b6bb.at/>) with one of the prefixes and
send on to you, should you always convert back to a U-Label, then convert to
one or the other prefix? Or try both?

And as for incorporating native language in IDNs, I share John's misgivings
-- and more, along the lines above. If I as a client see
http://ÖBB.at<http://%c3%96bb.at/>,
which languages do I convert to? The DNS servers are presumably not going to
bundle them all together, so I have to pick among them. All possible
languages (a huge list, once we also count script and regional variants)? All
those that could have umlauts? (So then
häagen-dazs.com<http://xn--hagen-dazs-q5a.com>(an English name)
wouldn't match.) And so on...

I think any serious look at changing prefixes would find that the problems
form a big, nasty, hairball. The goal should be to interoperate between
IDNA2003 and IDNA2008 as much as possible -- and avoid the need for a new
prefix.

Mark