Bundling vs Mapping

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Tue Feb 24 23:33:22 CET 2009

On 24 feb 2009, at 23.18, Mark Davis wrote:

> According to IDNA2008, uppercase Unicode is simply illegal. href="
> http://Bücher.de <http://b%c3%bccher.de/>" would simply fail.

Mark, IDNA2008 is talking specifically about what characters you can
use in the dns protocol (as U-labels, and encoded as A-labels). For me
it is quite something different than saying whether a certain URI will
fail or not.

If we talk about domain names, lets talk about domain names. If we are
to talk about URIs, lets talk about URIs.

I have always been a supporter of your document that I have not seen
any update to (the embryo of an I-D) on how to do mapping and use of
IDNs in URIs.

But URIs are not domain names. To be able to move forward, I think we
should separate the various issues here.

    Patrik