Not Folding Case (was: Re: Eszett ( was AW: Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ)

Kenneth Whistler kenw at sybase.com
Tue Feb 24 22:12:42 CET 2009

jfc said:

> May I add that French supports calls for uper cases NOT to be folded
> but to be supported as characters by their own.
> This means that "ecole.fr", "école.fr" and "Ecole.fr" are to be three
> different domain names.

which is just silly. The implication of that is that the
following would also be different domain names:

eCole.fr
ecOle.fr
ecoLe.fr
ecolE.fr
ECole.fr
EcOle.fr
EcoLe.fr
EcolE.fr
ECOle.fr
ECoLe.fr
EColE.fr

etc., etc., for 32 different strings, before even starting
to consider the accent folding issues.

This is incompatible both with existing ASCII domain name
usage *and* with IDNA 2003 domain name usage. And it
would result in a combinatorial bundling nightmare requiring
2^n items be bundled for every n Latin (or Greek or Cyrillic)
letter in a domain name.

And no, you cannot get away with claiming this would only
apply to the first letter of a domain name, because there
is no mechanism in IDNA for parsing out words in domain
name labels, viz.:

http://dangerecole.blogspot.com/

as opposed to:

http://www.ecoleprinceton.org/