Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon Feb 23 21:17:52 CET 2009

Paul,

For clarity's sake, can we look at the "bits on the wire" issue for a
moment?

Would the addition of any new character to the allowed set constitute
changing bits on the wire? There would be no bits on the wire for,
e.g. an unassigned character, but bits would flow once the character
is defined and is PVALID.

In the case of sharp-S, under IDNA2003 the bits sent would have been
"ss" but under IDNA2008,
assuming sharp-S becomes a PVALID character, the bits sent would be
the xn-- A-label form containing the ACE-encoded sharp-S character.

Is it this change that captures your concern for "bits on the wire" or
have I not understood the point?

thanks

vint

Vint Cerf