Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Mon Feb 23 23:19:33 CET 2009

--On Monday, February 23, 2009 11:49 -0800 Paul Hoffman
<phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> I certainly don't. But I'm not sure that your explanation is
> relevant. Do any of the domains that you are aware of bundle
> *after* a registrant has one name? That is, a registrant
> registers one name, the transaction is finished, and five
> years later the registry decides that the registered name is
> now part of a bundle and therefore takes one of the above
> actions.
>
> I am not aware of any such domains, but you might be.

I can go back and check (and Cary or Tina may know offhand), but
my recollection is that several registries that used variants
(or other relationships between older and newly-permitted names)
as part of IDN sunrise policies did just that.   Keep in mind
that every registry whose core language is written in Latin
script had to deal (or decide to not deal) with a similar
problem when it introduced IDNs to expand the "Latin characters"
beyond ASCII and various conventions for representing decorated
characters in ASCII to permitting registrations that included
the decorated characters.

And, per Cary's note, sunrise procedures are a plausible policy
alternative to maintaining variants, as is simply blocking
registration of the new/ conflicting string.  I prefer variant
techniques to those alternatives for the same reasons Mark does,
but our ability to force those techniques on registries is very
limited -- about the best we can do is to explain the issues and
hope that they do the right thing.