Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sat Feb 21 22:02:22 CET 2009

Folks,

My reading of the consensus is that the WG has discussed and generally
accepted that Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ can be made PVALID.
For registries that formerly mapped Esszett or Final Sigma, the
solutions are:

1. block registration of Esszett and Final Sigma at the registry level
(in which case any former registration forms are still valid but will
not be found by entering the newly PVALID characters)

2. Bundle Esszett with "ss" and Final Sigma with lower case ("sigma")
(and do so retrospectively for all prior registrations of the mapped
forms).

With regard to ZWJ and ZWNJ, these would be PVALID but constrained by
CONTEXTJ rules as to their valid usage.

As I read the charter, the WG has the latitude to adopt these
recommendations.

It has been pointed out that there are consequences of not mapping
characters per IDNA2003. One example relates to the appearance of,
e.g., Esszett in a URL. A side-effect of the mapping under IDNA2003 is
that the Esszett character would be converted to "ss" and this would
match a registration of a domain name that contained Esszett since the
registered form would have been mapped prior to registration into the
"ss" form. It seems beneficial to articulate to the best of our
ability such side-effects as an aid to users, software writers,
registries and registrars who may need to define policies for
registration limitations or adopt other compensating practices.

Vint

Vint Cerf
Google
1818 Library Street, Suite 400