Changing the values of domain names and the need for mapping

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Feb 20 01:41:29 CET 2009

Paul,

Your proposal to extend 2003 is in effect a mapping proposal since
mapping is part of the IDNA2003 structure, is it not? If you don't
want to discuss your proposal at the next meeting that's ok with me
but I was trying to accommodate it. If you think a re-chartering is
needed then I would recommend that we complete the current idna2008
vector and separately consider whether a new effort is needed.

With regard to esszet and final sigma, my sense of the email and face/
face discussions is that the most directly affected parties (german
speakers particularly in .de and .ch were proponents on the esszet
matter and .gr favored inclusion of final sigma as a pvalid character
despite earlier mapping behaviors).

vint

Vint Cerf
Google