Unicode position on local mapping

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue Feb 17 20:38:18 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:40:38PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

> As one example of that, I've recently concluded that there is no
> excuse for any mapping (local or otherwise) on the registration
> side.

To be clear, are you here distinguishing the narrow meaning of
"mapping" to mean "transforming one character into another", and
another possible meaning, which is "expanding to match other
characters, and registering those _too_?  For instance the example
that Jefsey provided is just école.fr and ecole.fr, which could easily
be resolved by registering ecole.fr also whenever xn--cole-9oa.fr is
registered.  This doesn't need anything at all in the IDNA protocol --
you can do it all with registration bundling.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.