idna-mapping update

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Dec 23 12:35:57 CET 2009

On 22/12/09 19:17, John C Klensin wrote:
> While I agree that looking at [standardized] keyboards could be
> very useful, I see the way you stated the question as
> interesting.  The odds that a standardized keyboard would have
> the "fi" ligature as a letter key when people intended the
> letter "f" and "i" to be represented is actually pretty low --

Indeed. I picked it as an example in the hope that people wouldn't get
distracted by the specifics of the example I picked :-)

> at least from what I've observed sitting on the relevant
> standards committees.  User-programmed shortcut keys are another
> matter: there is no accounting for taste and, back when
> keystrokes were interpreted by servers rather than the local
> machine, I used to have lots of keys that would type out whole
> words or commands and knew others who did too.

But how often did those whole words contain letters your keyboard was
otherwise unable to type? If they didn't, then this fact (AFAICS)
doesn't have any bearing on the question.

Gerv