idna-mapping update

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Dec 22 16:33:04 CET 2009

On 22/12/09 03:50, John C Klensin wrote:
> position you characterize as "why do we need these".  Of course,
> that position gets even stronger when we can see problems, as in
> the superscript and ligature examples I discussed in my note to
> Michel.

It seems to me that an important factor would be keyboards. If there are
no widely-used keyboards where pressing a letter key gives you a "fi"
ligature, then it seems rather less important to have a mapping for it
than if there are (e.g) 50 million Antarcticans out there who have a key
for that and are very used to pressing it when they want to type the
letters "f" and "i" one after another. The Principle of Least Surprise
and all that.

Gerv