idna-mapping update

Marie-France Berny mfberny at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 13:52:19 CET 2009

Patrik,

I shut my mouth for a long for two reasons. (1) As a Jedi (Jefsey's
Disciple) I will not be listen to. (2) Because I felt that what
characterizes the termination of this WG is confusion.

 You, Harald, John came with the demand for a job to be done. That job was
confirmed by the IESG and IAB under the form of a Charter. Jefsey asked if
the Charter or the Users' need was the limit. Vint answered the Charter.
They opposed when Vint wanted the IETF to be the limit. That was corrected.
And we had a very satisfactory solution.

Unexpectedly that solution was opposed by the AD using out the limit
questions (no-mapping says the Charter, why asks the AD; IDNA says the
Charter, will IDNA work asks the AD; minimize the transition issues says the
Charter; what about the aesthetics of GG's (Greek and German "s"s) asks the
AD, etc.). In the meanwhile ICANN has upset the better half of the world in
stating that its non-roman ccTLDs Fast Track was the new limit. A new limit
they committed to describe publicly but do not so far, in spite of the
support of the Chair.