Re-sending TXT form of Proposed IDNA2008 Transition Idea

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Dec 15 00:09:43 CET 2009

Warren Kumari
------
Please excuse typing, etc -- This was sent from a device with a tiny
keyboard.

On Dec 14, 2009, at 3:44 PM, Steve Crocker <steve at shinkuro.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> With the caveat that I haven't given this deep and lengthy thought and
> I haven't discussed this with anyone else, the model and value
> proposition I have in mind is the following.
>
> The variants represent a potential for new revenue if either the
> existing registrant or a new registrant is willing to pay for it.  As
> a marketing strategy, the registrar can choose to register the
> variants for a period of time.  This would be a loss leader, but the
> costs would be minimal if the registry and ICANN cooperated to waive
> their fees.
>
> The technical detail would be for the registrar to send to the
> registry the same set of records associated with the base name.  This
> would be independent of whether the registrar were also the DNS
> operator or web service provider for the registrant.
>
> The registrants would all be notified but wouldn't have to do
> anything.  When the time period expires, the registrant could choose
> to keep none, some or all of the variants.

Um, to me this seems fraught with danger... Some registants will
register variant-A, but many of their users will think of them as
variant-B. After the timeout, many registrants won't realize how many
users have been reaching them as variant-B, variant-C, etc, and they
will choose not to renew them, and suddenly their users cannot reach
th anymore... Yes, the registrant *should* be able to figure out how
users think of them, but....