An idea for transition principles

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon Dec 14 20:31:35 CET 2009

Gerv,

I think trying to schedule an Internet-wide deadline across all
registries would be very difficult. Browsers that adopt IDNA2008
before all registries have completed their sunrise actions will get
NXDOMAIN for things that used to resolve to IP addresses for those
domain names containing the new characters (sharp-s and final sigma).
This will be visible - and the visibility might help to accelerate
registry action. I think under the suggested rules, domains that have
no vulnerable registrations (e.g. new TLDs) might be able to move
ahead with immediate use of IDNA2008; taking into account the possible
need to register also matching IDNA2003-compatible  entries into the
relevant zone file(s) for backward compatibility. I am not sure what
other problems might arise - but appreciate further discussion within
the WG.

vint