Another Transition Plan Proposal

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Dec 11 17:40:12 CET 2009

On 11/12/09 04:58, Cary Karp wrote:
> Why is it reasonable for the German Chapter of the International
> Federation of Podiatrists to forgo their preferred name in .GTLD because
> it was automatically given to the American Fussbudget Society?

Because in hindsight we made an error in defining IDNA2003 and are now
trying to fix it.

Why is it reasonable for software all over the world to have to deal
with three different forms of line endings in text files? Why is it
reasonable for every word an Intel architecture machine (most of the
machines in the world) sends over the network to have the order of its
bytes inverted before transmission?

> Manual sunrise increases the number of potentially satisfied customers.
> Gratuitous burn-and-bury bundling reduces it.

True. If we were proposing a transition plan for a large number of
characters, this argument would carry more weight. But we aren't.

And "gratuitous" is begging the question.

Gerv