AW: Sharp-S and Final Sigma Consensus Call Results

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Thu Dec 10 18:16:59 CET 2009

While we could all declare Mission Accomplished, and push this out the door
as is, if there is no viable transition strategy and the best implementers
can do to support their customers in avoiding compatibility and security
problems is to map, then they will map--no matter what the consensus among
the thirty-odd individuals in this WG is.

If a viable transition strategy can be formulated for avoiding problems
during the transition, I don't think there is any problem with having these
4 characters be PVALID. That strategy needs to be part of the IDNA
specification, so that we don't get dozens of *different* transition
strategies. It appears to me that we are still in the midst of that
discussion, because it never got serious attention beforehand. So closing
off such a discussion would be premature, no matter how sick and tired we
are of the IDNA issues.

Mark