Prohibiting mapping of PVALID characters

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Dec 10 07:53:05 CET 2009

On 2009/12/10 6:53, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> draft-ietf-idnabis-protocol-17.txt mentions mapping in only two places.

> 5.2:
>
>     The string is converted from the local character set into Unicode, if
>     it is not already in Unicode.  Depending on local needs, this
>     conversion may involve mapping some characters into other characters
>     as well as coding conversions.  Those issues are discussed in
>     [IDNA2008-Mapping] and the mapping-related sections (Sections 4.4, 6,
>     and 7.3) of [IDNA2008-Rationale].  The result MUST be a Unicode
>     string in NFC form.
>
> The words in 4.1 are quite definitive, irrespective of whether or not the string contains PVALID characters. If you want to add something, it would be in 5.2. A proposed change to the second sentence would be:
>
> Depending on local needs, this conversion may involve coding
> conversions. The conversion may also involve mapping some characters;
> however, such mapping MUST NOT be applied to any character that has a
> type of PVALID, regardless of the local needs.

To fix for Ken's catch, what about (I also eliminated the first sentence
of Paul's proposal, because it seems to just repeat the general
statement in the sentence before (which Paul didn't copy)):

The string is converted from the local character set into Unicode, if
it is not already in Unicode.  This conversion may also involve mapping
some characters or sequences of characters to others. However, such
mapping MUST be limited to applying NFC for any character that has a
type of PVALID, regardless of the local needs.

Regards,   Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp