Prohibiting mapping of PVALID characters

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Wed Dec 9 23:00:57 CET 2009

--On Wednesday, December 09, 2009 13:53 -0800 Paul Hoffman
<phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> At 4:18 PM -0500 12/9/09, John C Klensin wrote:
>> Since I'm trying to look at text this afternoon and evening,
>> is there agreement that it would be wise to add a "SHOULD NOT
>> change the interpretation of valid strings by mapping PVALID
>> characters to anything else" to the portion of Protocol where
>> mapping is mentioned, or should (sic) I leave well enough
>> alone? If the former, is that a correct statement of the
>> proposition?
>>
>> Note that such a statement would make Sharp-S to "ss" mapping
>> not-fully-conformant to IDNA2008, even though "SHOULD" does
>> leave an opening...
>
> draft-ietf-idnabis-protocol-17.txt mentions mapping in only
> two places.
>
> 4.1, first paragraph:
>
>    . . . Entities responsible for
>    zone files ("registries") MUST accept only the exact string
> for which    registration is requested, free of any mappings
> or local adjustments.
>
> 5.2:
>
>    The string is converted from the local character set into
> Unicode, if    it is not already in Unicode.  Depending on
> local needs, this    conversion may involve mapping some
> characters into other characters    as well as coding
> conversions.  Those issues are discussed in
> [IDNA2008-Mapping] and the mapping-related sections (Sections
> 4.4, 6,    and 7.3) of [IDNA2008-Rationale].  The result MUST
> be a Unicode    string in NFC form.
>
> The words in 4.1 are quite definitive, irrespective of whether
> or not the string contains PVALID characters. If you want to
> add something, it would be in 5.2. A proposed change to the
> second sentence would be:
>
> Depending on local needs, this conversion may involve coding
> conversions. The conversion may also involve mapping some
> characters; however, such mapping MUST NOT be applied to any
> character that has a type of PVALID, regardless of the local
> needs.
>
> The problem with this is that it makes a MUST-level
> requirement that is begging to be broken ("our needs for
> mapping are greater than our needs for conformance to the
> RFC"). But it might be the best we can do.

Yes, that is probably the right place and just about the right
text (assuming the WG wants to do anything at all).   The reason
why I suggested SHOULD was to avoid making a MUST-level
requirement that, as you put it, is begging to be broken.  But
MUST may still be the best answer, if only because SHOULD would
probably require an explanation that the WG might have some
difficulty agreeing on.