AW: Sharp-S and Final Sigma Consensus Call Results

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Wed Dec 9 22:18:50 CET 2009

--On Wednesday, December 09, 2009 21:40 +0100 Alexander
Mayrhofer <alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at> wrote:

>> > I am supporting PVALID for both Sharp-S and Final Sigma,
>> > given that mapping of PVALID characters is disallowed.
>>
>> Mapping of PVALID characters is *not* disallowed in
>> draft-ietf-idnabis-mappings-05.
>
> I understand. An i don't think draft-ietf-idnabis-mappings
> should be the place where mapping of PVALID characters should
> be disallowed - it's an Informational document.
>
> The rule would need to be in one of the Standards Track
> documents.

Since I'm trying to look at text this afternoon and evening, is
there agreement that it would be wise to add a "SHOULD NOT
change the interpretation of valid strings by mapping PVALID
characters to anything else" to the portion of Protocol where
mapping is mentioned, or should (sic) I leave well enough alone?
If the former, is that a correct statement of the proposition?

Note that such a statement would make Sharp-S to "ss" mapping
not-fully-conformant to IDNA2008, even though "SHOULD" does
leave an opening...

Vint?