More detail: a sketchy idea for expressing zone policy

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 9 18:20:23 CET 2009

IMO the interesting part of these characters is preserving the form, not making a distinction between them.  If we were going to invent a completely new system that is complicated, I'd much prefer "just" providing a mechanism to indicate the preserved form.

One problem with the per-zone rules is complexity and whether or not people would adopt it.

Another problem is that it doesn't help when processing disconnected strings.  If I wanted to validate a URL in an address book, I'd have to look it up.

What happens when the zone changes the policy?  (Or adds a policy when it suddenly becomes aware of the option?)

If we were going to provide rules that effectively cause bundling per-zone for certain characters, then I'd think about extending it to some of the other sequences discussed on the list.  Eg: If I want to bundle ß and ss, then maybe I also want to bundle ö and oe.  Or maybe neither of those, but ı and I.

-Shawn