Sharp-S and Final Sigma Consensus Call Results

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Dec 9 10:08:43 CET 2009

Attached is a PDF of the spreadsheet I maintained during the past
week's discussions. If you detect errors or omissions, kindly advise.

It is also important to note that the Unicode Technical Committee
responded to a formal request for their opinion that Sharp-S and Final
Sigma should be PVALID

On the basis of this information, I think we have rough consensus in
the IDNABIS Working Group that Sharp-S and Final Sigma should be made
PVALID.

The consensus call did not refer to the joiner/non-joiners and I
continue to believe that the WG has long since concluded these should
stay in CONTEXTJ

With regard to transition, there is considerable diversity among the
WG as to preferences. In an absolute sense, the specification of a
protocol (the set of proposed RFCs developed during IDNABIS WG effort)
is independent of its introduction, so it might be argued that the WG
does not need to specify an adoption or transition plan. As a
practical matter, of course, something has to happen for the results
to get into use.

Perhaps a small step forward would be for the editor of Rationale to
make reference to the need for operators (I use this term in its most
general sense to include registries, registrars, makers of software
that rely on the DNS, etc) to assess their adoption plans in the
context of an environment that includes a mix of IDNA2003 and IDNA2008
"speakers" for a period of time likely to be measurable in years.

I will try to produce a possible transition synthesis drawn from
various suggestions in the WG discussion on transition - however, that
will take another couple of days as I am tied up with all-day meetings
today and tomorrow.

This message, however, is intended to convey to the WG and the AD that
the chair believes we have rough consensus on making Sharp-S and Final
Sigma PVALID in IDNA2008.

Vint Cerf