Additional thoughts on TRANSITIONAL

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue Dec 8 19:25:55 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 07:45:50PM +0000, Shawn Steele wrote:

> Right now IE lower-cases everything regardless of the DNS record,
> however presumably they could exist.  Additionally, assuming
> "case-preserving" really means that everyone registers lower case
> forms, then we have "case-insensitive" DNS, which IS fairly
> interesting.  It isn't hard to find links to sites using an initial
> upper case or camel cased forms.

"Case-preserving" might mean that, if it is registered in the DNS with
mixed case, then a match in the DNS for a differently-cased query will
result in an answer being returned that has the regstered case.
Alternatively, it might mean that you get the case you ask for.
That's the way bind 9.4.2 works:

$ dig -v
DiG 9.4.2
$ dig +noall +answer microsoft.com
microsoft.com.		2363	IN	A	207.46.232.182
microsoft.com.		2363	IN	A	207.46.197.32
$ dig +noall +answer Microsoft.com
Microsoft.com.		2361	IN	A	207.46.197.32
Microsoft.com.		2361	IN	A	207.46.232.182

Unfortunately, it isn't clear which of these meanings it should be.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.