Bundling

Alexander Mayrhofer alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at
Mon Dec 7 13:53:56 CET 2009

[sorry, catching up since Thursday..]

> ß:
> 1) ß/ss distinction actually significant to distinguish
> between certain
> words (and especially names)
> 2) "ss" substring essentially used/usable in every
> registry/zone around
> the world.

I certainly agree to that - the problematic thing about the "ß" is not the "ß" itself, but rather the abundance of potential collisions because of the mapping to "ss". However, I'm assuming that the number of labels that ever got "hit" by such a mapping by a real user are probably limited to a very small percentage of the total "ss" population, particularly because all applications that I know of "switch" from the "ß" to "ss" in the user interface - so that users probably learned that it doesn't make sense to type it in anyway.

Looking at the options that we have now, I agree that none of them are perfect, but I think in the long run, the best thing we can do for "ß" is:

- declare it PVALID in IDNAbis *and* normatively disallow mapping of PVALID characters
- leave any policy decision about how to handle the potential transition to the respective zone admin / registry / community.

Alex