DNAME understanding

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sat Dec 5 03:56:06 CET 2009

>For reasons that are somewhat analogous to the use and handling of
>the HOST command to HTTP, mail servers need to know their own names
>and really need to know the names by which users know them.

It seems to me that the issues with mail servers are essentially the
same as the ones with virtual named web hosts, in which a single
server on a single IP has multiple names that are semantically
different, and if the host gets traffic for a name it's not expecting
it won't know what to do with it.  This isn't specific to DNAMEs or
CNAMEs, of course, since you can create the same problems with a few A
or MX records.

Isn't this more a management than a technical issue?  Surely there's
no hope of folding together all the world's equivalent spellings no
matter what hacks we use to serve the DNS.

R's,
John