Additional thoughts on TRANSITIONAL

Cary Karp ck at nic.museum
Fri Dec 4 17:45:37 CET 2009

> Redelegations are usually not initiated by governments, and
> redelegations do not require government's approval. Whether a
> government has any legal involvement in their ccTLD varies from
> country-to-country, some countries have passed laws to nationalise
> the ccTLD but AFAIK most have not.

Are you suggesting that a letter from ICANN along anything vaguely
resembling the following lines might be conceivable?

Dear Dr. Merkel,

This is to inform you that the current delegation of the .DE top-level
domain is going to be rescinded due to the failure of its operator to
comply with the rules about the inclusion of the Esszet in domain names
devised by a working group of the IETF during the preparation of the
IDNABIS protocol.

We will redelegate the domain to a new operator of our choosing at the
same time and you need not be concerned about any interruption in the
operation of the domain during this process.