Additional thoughts on TRANSITIONAL

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 3 22:52:22 CET 2009

>Basically, the owner of a label that contains "ss" also "owns" the equivalent label with Eszett. So the client must "ask" the >current owner (using the "ss" label) if that owner has "released" the equivalent name with Eszett, and allows another owner to >take it. Then the client can do another lookup with the Eszett name (in Punycode), and take it from there.

I think that we're clear that Eszett has to be allowed.  However it is not clear to me that there is a compelling reason why "the equivalent label" (whether eszett or ss) needs to be allowed to go to a distinct place.   If not, then your suggestion is overkill and maybe there's an easier way to resolve it.

-Shawn