Mapping?

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 3 22:21:37 CET 2009

I think Martin's theory is interesting, but I my experience Alexander's perspective is more common.

It doesn't really matter to get us out of this mess though.  ß *is* probably required just to support trademarks.  I just don't think that ß and ss need to go different places.  AFAICT Martin's theory and Alexander's experience would both back that up.  (Martin's would have the wrong form being a misspelling, so it need not be distinct, and Alexander's has the distinction being muddy enough anyway that users aren't sure which to type, so the distinction isn't important.)

But if my firm's name has an ß, then it needs to "work".  Which probably includes not displaying my ß as an ss.  That's different than ß being distinct from ss though.

-Shawn