Additional thoughts on TRANSITIONAL

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Thu Dec 3 22:06:23 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 10:30:42AM -0800, Erik van der Poel wrote:

> The initial "asking" could be done in DNS, though my thinking was
> along the lines of reverse DNS lookup or TEXT records(?).

Reverse is probably not a good idea, because the forward operator and
the reverse operator are often (even usually) not the same
organization.  The reverse DNS is in fact badly maintained as it is.

Using a TXT record is problematic in my view mostly because there's
simply no way to guarantee a TXT record at an owner name is unique.
The idea here is to be deterministic.

> However, the reason I didn't send this idea to the list is because I
> think it is overly complicated on the client side

Well, exactly.  It's an awful lot of machinery to build to move a
pretty small payload.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.