U+0130

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 3 05:52:53 CET 2009

Thanks, I know what it does :)  It ends up as a lower case i, which already has a dot, followed by another combining dot.  Dot's are supposed to stack (though they don't seem to in my UI), so it's an i with 2 dots on top of each other (though it seems to render more like an i with an off-center dieresis).

I suppose it doesn't really count, since i is LATIN SMALL LETTER I, and doesn't really have a "dot" like a precomposed character does, even though it looks like it.  Anyway, the effect is really unexpected (to me), and I would think that a Turkish user probably wouldn't be terribly satisfied by the result.

What I'm curious about is the reasoning behind that curious mapping?

-Shawn