Bundling

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 3 04:50:40 CET 2009

I missed some messages in this thread when I replied earlier :)

> > The operators of .CY and .GR have told us in official capacity that they
> > want the final sigma to be PVALID, fully aware of the collateral effects
> > that they will then need to deal with. It would be delusional to believe
> > that the supportive action of the respective governments could not be
> > mustered.
>
> >Would someone who understands IETF process better than I do please
> > explain why the discussion of that character needs to proceed any further?
>
> Even if this is a rhetorical question, I'll bite.  It's because the IETF
> makes decisions by rough consensus and running code.

I think that for all four of these characters it is fairly obvious that they are necessary for correct grammar, specifically:

> The Greek Final Sigma shall be PVALID because it is a character of the Greek
> Alphabet and by disallowing it Greek Language will not be represented
> correctly.

Previously we also had this comment:

> 3) Greek has an even bigger variant problem because of the Tonos. A
> majority of Greek IDN names would need a variant without tonos, both for
> uppercase typing (where the Tonos is never used) or comfort of typing
> when writing lowercase.

My interpretation would be that Greek Final Sigma is necessary for correct spelling of Greek, and that it is common for Greek to be entered with and without the Tonos.  So it seems likely that when uppercase forms are used users likely expect several possible values to lead to the correct site.  As the NICs reported about Final Sigma, it seems clear that users would also expect the correct site to have the correct spelling, even if the user had ignored the Tonos "for comfort of typing".

So I think further discussion is interesting because, while we have clearly determined that Greek Final Sigma is required for the correct spelling of a site's name, we haven't necessarily determined how what combinations users may enter to get to that site.

-Shawn