Bundling

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 3 02:38:20 CET 2009

I’m using “bundling” loosely, assuming that it’d maybe be a BCP and that domain holders would try to do bundling even if the registrar didn’t.  As you point out that becomes problematic with places like blogspot.

I also mean that “bundling” is interesting even beyond a transition period.  The problem is highlighted by the IDNA2003 mappings, making these “special”, but problems exist anyway.  For Greek, assuming casing, people would expect an upper case string to resolve to a lower case domain.  Depending on the mapping chosen for upper case sigma, that may not be the expected form.  Even with special logic there are exceptions.  So “bundling”, even if done merely by registering both names, becomes an interesting workaround.

If bundling (whether registrar or otherwise) is a common solution to the problem of similarities, then TRANSITIONAL may be less interesting because the bundling would end up “looking like” TR46, even after the transition period, in which case your option a) seems more interesting than b).

To be clear, I’m brainstorming, trying to get at the problem from a different direction.  The brainstorming hypothesis is that “bundling” is likely interesting, at least in these cases, regardless of whether the characters ever were allowed in IDNA2003.  If true, is there a way to codify that idea so that it also addresses the position we find ourselves in?  On the other hand, if everyone thinks bundling of these cases is silly, then that’s a different problem.

If bundling is interesting, then TR46’s approach be an interesting solution.  Both variations are legal per IDNA2008 (addressing the what-it-looks-like-in-a-Certificate problem), but TR46 forces lookup to an IDNA2003 compatible variant.  That variant could then advertise itself by an IDNA2008 compliant name, but the variant(s) get you there too.  For layers that don’t need mapping (Certificates I’m guessing), then TR46 need not be applied.

It seems worth thinking about if that solves the need for uniqueness necessary for some applications of IDNA, and also the need for mapping/lookup required by browser type applications?

-Shawn