Bundling

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Wed Dec 2 22:14:05 CET 2009

The problem with bundling is that everyone has to do it, otherwise links
don't work as expected. The problem isn't limited to .DE, .AT, and .GR.

Take these links:

Schloß Schönbrunn - http://xn--schloss-schnbrunn-9zb.blogspot.com/
Schloß Schönbrunn - http://xn--schlo-schnbrunn-uib90b.blogspot.com/ - not
mapping ß

Unless the registry maintained by blogspot also bundles, these will have the
transition problem. And there are gazillions of registries: for
example, Schönbrunn.de ( = xn--schnbrunn-27a.de) is the registry for:

Schloß.Schönbrunn.de <http://schloss.xn--schnbrunn-27a.de> (=
xn--Schlo-pqa.xn--chnbrunn-9zb.de) and
Schloss.Schönbrunn.de <http://Schloss.xn--schnbrunn-27a.de> (=
xn--Schloss.xn--chnbrunn-9zb.de)

That's why I see the choice as either:

a) the display processing that Microsoft suggested (what is in UTS46).
b) a workable transition plan (perhaps something like the TRANSITIONAL
policy)

Mark