What registries might do (was: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma)

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 2 00:29:21 CET 2009

> People have come to notice the caps lock key for the purposes of their
> passwords.  Why won't they come to know these issues?

You obviously haven't met my son, who's caps lock key is misbehaving (no light) so he ended up with a primarily uppercase password for the logon to his kid web page when he normally wanted a lower case version :)

However assuming that an international user does notice that BÜCHER.de fails, but MICROSOFT.com works, they'll be (rightly) annoyed.  If BÜCHER.de is disallowed, then MICROSOFT should be as well.  IDN should be internationally consistent without giving any language an advantage (either real or perceived, at that point it doesn't matter).

-Shawn