What registries might do (was: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma)

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 1 19:21:38 CET 2009

> No, there are not mapping rules at all for ASCII characters.  The DNS
> is case-preserving but case-insensitive, which is slightly different
> from mapping.

Technical gobbledegook.  If an end users types Microsoft.com, it gets them to microsoft.com, they aren't going to make a subtle technical distinction.  Most users can't even figure out that paypal.safe.com isn't really "safe", how do we expect them to understand subtle technical differences in casing behavior?  Certainly the end-users expect case insensitivity, that's what we appear to have given them.

> it is reasonable to imagine
> that people will adapt for the case of non-ASCII characters too.

So am I understanding correctly:  MICROSOFT.com will get me to microsoft.com if I happen to use a capital letters, but BÜCHER.de won't get me to bücher.de?  How is that supposed to make sense to end users?

> > C) In addition it's the existing practice of IDNA2003, and there's not really good rules.

> Right.  We chartered work to make changes to IDNA2003.  You seem to be
> arguing that we should not have done that.  As I already remarked,
> that's a big claim and I think you will need to defend it.

I'm beginning to think the charter is really broken.

-Shawn