The real issue: interopability, and a proposal (Was: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Dec 1 12:48:14 CET 2009

--On Tuesday, December 01, 2009 20:31 +0900 "\"Martin J.
Dürst\"" <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

>> - add text to Section 5 of idnabis-protocol that says
>>
>>          "characters that are PVALID MUST NOT be subject to
>>          mappings".
>
> I like this idea. It seems to capture something that was
> essentially  obvious to me, but apparently not to some others.
> Essentially, it says  "don't mess around with valid domain
> names".

I'll have to go back and figure out what happened to it
--whether it got lost in the middle of various edits or whether
it it is just somewhere else in the document, but essentially
that prohibition was explicit in the protocol for a very long
time.  If it has been removed, I, too, would support putting it
back in regardless of how the rest of this discussion comes out
-- it was, IIR, never the intent that a PVALID character could
be mapped into something else.

Unfortunately, I've got to go catch an airplane, so won't be
able to do that check until, probably, Thursday.