The real issue: interopability, and a proposal (Was: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma)

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 1 11:14:16 CET 2009

> There seems to be little existing deployment of ß-labels out there, at least on the web

I would guess that be a case against making eszett PVALID.  Existing users needing Eszett are instead making due with ss, so adding Eszett explicitly would put those users at risk.  It'd be better to enable them to have a display form so they could indicate that Eszett was their preferred form.

- Shawn