Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Tue Dec 1 10:42:23 CET 2009

On 1 dec 2009, at 10.20, Shawn Steele wrote:

>> We should not destroy and make it impossible to use ß
>> in domain names
>
> Not impossible to use ß, it just goes to the same place as ss, and it should allow for an ß display form (yes, I know that piece is missing).

I think we violently ;-) disagree on what "use" implies.

For me, it is to actually use the ß in a registered domain name, in an email address and a certificate, and the ability to get a ß back from a lookup in (for example) DNS that have a domain name in the RDATA field. For example an SRV record, or NAPTR. And the ability for someone that do have "ss" in a domain name to choose not to have that match ß (as Harald explained earlier).

For you, it is the ability for a user to "type" in a ß, and then get the same result as if one typed "ss". And get this by making ß DISALLOWED so that we are 100% sure it is never used in protocol elements, but instead "ss" is used. Certificates, NAPTR, DNs etc.

Or something similar.

We are, sort of, of interest of solving the same problem although we walk along different paths.

   Patrik