Mappings - some examples

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue Dec 1 04:47:30 CET 2009

On 2009-11-30, at 21:56, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Note I don't say that ß and ss shouldn't be presented "correctly" fo
> r the web site owner, just that they can be reasonably expected to g
> o to the same place.  If Fussball.de prefers to be displayed as Fußball.d
> e, that should be permitted, but they should both get you to the sam
> e server.
>
> -Shawn

And yet you ignore the analogy of color and colour, which is at least
as close in this case as anything we might get across languages.  In
that case, they _don't_ go to the same place, and nobody is mystified.
Why?  I say it's because we have learned to live with this, and that
people could learn the new rules in German too.

If I'm right, then you have a transition problem & not something
fundamental to the protocol. Opponents of PVALID for these two cases
seem not to be addressing that distinction, but if you're going to
make your case it is, I say, critical.

Andrew Sullivan
<ajs at shinkuro.com>