Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Mon Aug 31 18:32:08 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:00:40AM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

> Without these changes, the definition of U-label is clear, the
> definition of A-label is clear, the two are obviously symmetric,
> and we don't have issues of
> U-label-except-with-some-upper-case-characters.  Encouraging the
> latter muddies, and will probably require review, of the other
> definitions.

Then see the part of my mail that you cut out: since a valid U-label
can never have upper case ascii characters in it anyway, what's the
worry?  We've already defined the problem away, it would seem.

I think the problem Wil is identifying is that we haven't really
defined this away, because implementations may choose not to do all
the validation steps, and therefore lookups will be allowed that in
some cases will sometimes succeed, even though they shouldn't.  Right?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.