Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

jean-michel bernier de portzamparc jmabdp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 04:08:57 CEST 2009

Paul,
I am afraid we all have difficulties with Elisabeth's elliptic mind, because
she don't use to consider the technical/individual details (there can be
many of them), but the implied architectural/strategic whole. I think I
would support your proposition, but I am not sure I understand  "A pair of
A-labels MUST be compared using a case-preserving comparison.". Moreover,
the way you phrase it seems to integrate the case-preservation in the
protocol, i.e. in the ACE and not to keep it as a part of its use?

The rule proposed by Andrew Sullivan seems quite systematic and clear?

1. The encoding of A-label1 according to [RFC3492] results in U-label1.
2. The decoding of U-label2 according to [RFC3492] results in A-label2.
3. A-label1 is equivalent to A-label2 according to DNS matching rules for
labels.
4. U-label1 is bistring equivalent to U-label2.

We felt it addressed our point "References to the lower/uppercase image can
be understood by DNS old-timers, but is confusing to newcomers, as it does
not reflect the same functionality and because U-label/A-label
lower/uppercase treatment is not the same." since everyone knows that
punycode is case preserving.

Best
Portzamparc
an IETF user