Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Wil Tan wil at cloudregistry.net
Sun Aug 30 20:22:16 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM, John C Klensin <klensin at jck.com> wrote:

> --On Monday, August 24, 2009 23:24 -0400 Andrew Sullivan
> <ajs at shinkuro.com> wrote:
>

> > In a previous comment (see
> > http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/idna-update/2009-July/00497
> > 0.html), I made a vague remark about something I find
> > worrisome in this text in §2.3.2.1:
>
> These changes, with Paul's suggested modifications, have been
> tentatively accepted and incorporated in the document.  Anyone
> who objects should say so quickly.

I posted a comment related to the definition of A-label some time ago, but
the thread was digressed:
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/idna-update/2009-June/004558.html

The issue is with case variants of A-labels. By DNS rules, as mentioned in
several places in the idnabis-defs draft, A-labels are to be compared in a
case independent manner. However, if certain characters in an A-label have
been uppercased, the Punycode decoding algorithm (due to its mixed-case
annotation feature) may produce invalid U-label because the ASCII characters
will be in capital letter form.

=wil