Review of draft-ietf-idnabis-protocol-14

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Sat Aug 29 16:22:23 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 03:42:25AM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Friday, August 21, 2009 19:52 -0700 Paul Hoffman
> <phoffman at imc.org> wrote:
>
> > Section 3.2.1 says:
> >    IDNA applies only to domain names in the NAME and RDATA
> > fields of DNS    resource records whose CLASS is IN.
> > It would be good for the DNS-centric folks in the WG to verify
> > that they think that this restriction is correct. Are there
> > really no other fields where domain labels would appear?
>
> I have received no further input on this and will assume that
> the current text is ok unless I do.

My reading of that text was that it was a _restriction_, not a claim
of fact.  In other words, I interpreted that text as saying that, if a
new class is invented, IDNA (if it were specified) would need to be
specified separately for that class.

By definition, the only place domain name labels can appear is in the
NAME and RDATA fields of resource records.  It's important to
remember that the RDATA field can have subfields (as it does in the
SOA record).  I think that's clear enough from the rest of the
discussion, and because the documents already say, "You need to
understand DNS too."

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.