Review of draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Sun Aug 23 19:08:14 CEST 2009

At 11:52 AM -0400 8/23/09, Vint Cerf wrote:
>I thought having the second figure helped to
>emphasize the scope of identifiers that DNS can support.

I remain unconvinced that this is explaining more than confusing. I would like to hear from others what they think the figure means.

>figure 2 shows where U-labels fit in, so it seems useful to retain.

The use of non-ASCII labels in the DNS protocol is so confusing to many people, I am not sure that this is helpful.

>Perhaps we can reference appropriate RFCs to explain
>bitstring and binary labels?

If we keep the figure, that would be helpful, because they are *not* defined in RFC 1034 or 1035. If we are inventing new definitions, or changing existing ones, we might be better off just not showing this.