Tamil Numerals in IDNA - Re: WG Last Call for Four Primary IDNABIS I-Ds

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Aug 21 17:30:57 CEST 2009

Dear colleagues,

On 2009-08-20, at 21:22, Gihan Dias <gihan at cse.mrt.ac.lk> wrote:

>  0BE6..0BEF  ; PVALID      # TAMIL DIGIT ZERO..TAMIL DIGIT NINE
> These characters are not in general use, and several of them are
> identical or similar to other Tamil characters (see attached image).

I believe that on previous occasion, the WG has rejected both the
premises "not in general use" and "confusably similar" as reasons to
make a code point DISALLOWED.

> I am aware that Tamil digits have the Unicode property "Nd", in
> common with other digits, and it will be difficult to segregate them
> on the basis of Unicode properties.
>
> Leaving it up to registries to not register names with these digits
> is unlikely to work, as registries would normally use the RFC as
> their reference.

The IDNA2008 document set explitictly urges registries to make policy
beyond the IDNA2008 documents. I therefore reject the above premise,
and I conclude that these characters should not become exceptions.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com