BIDI spec

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Aug 11 05:59:24 CEST 2009

Mark Davis ⌛ wrote:
> > An RTL label is a label that contains at least one character of type
> R or AL.
>
> I believe you should also add "AN". There are cases where it affects
> ordering.
It does, but weirdly. The rules currently outlaw anythng but R and AL in
the first position, so it seems to simplify things to leave the status
of an AN-only label undefined.

> > Rules can also be specified at the protocol level, but while the
> example above involves right-to-left characters, this is not
> inherently a BIDI problem.
>
> Unless you anticipate future revisions of the protocol document in
> this direction, the "can also" should be changed to "could also have
> been".
The current status is, I believe, that some are specified in -tables,
which I call "protocol level". Should there be an explicit reference?

                  Harald