Katakana Middle Dot again (Was: tables-06b.txt: A.5, A.6, A.9)

Elisabeth Blanconil eblanconil at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 22:13:39 CEST 2009

God bless Japan!

How many languages, scripts and orthotypographies round the world have
no Kenneth to speak-up on their behalf and will suffer from the IETF
IDNA layer violation. Or most probably simply disregard it. How easier
would it have been to organise a TLD Table inheritance system and
leave the top zone managers decide about the permitted code points or
not.

Was it not at a time a proposition by John Klensin?

Ooops! This would have been a problem for "internationalized" money
making gTLDs ICANN wants to sell. But if I understand  correctly
Congress people want to address the Internet for the Rich problem as
well. And turn ICANN a permanent US Agency.

I may seem out of topic. But I am not sure I am. A good architecture
should be independent from business fashions. As Jefsey says the
problem is that IDNA is not even considered by IAB in RFC 3869 as a
matter for development priority. IMHO the real issue is to make sure
in the final wording that Class, TLD, presentation, or Zone related
character restrictions or exceptions can be documented without
contradicting the proposed text - in order to avoid unnecessary
conflicts.

Elisabeth Blanconil